Sunday, September 16, 2012

Now Means Now

Now Means Now!

Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
Romans 8:1

Now (adverb): at the present time; at once (Webster)

I've been thinking about the difference between conviction and condemnation. When the Holy Spirit convicts me of something that I have done wrong, the thoughts will be something like this: "I really blew that! I was wrong. I should have thought before I said that. That was certainly not a Christ-like thing to do! I'll go over the first thing tomorrow and make an apology. I am so thankful that He has promised to complete what He started. He still has a lot of work to do on me--that's for sure!" In conviction there is hope--hope for changing fleshly patterns because of the power of Christ in me--hope for righting wrongs--hope for overcoming.

On the other hand, thoughts of condemnation will attack me--myself--not just my performance. For example, "I am such a loser. I do everything wrong. I should not be teaching or witnessing. What a sorry Christian I've turned out to be. I can't do anything right." There's no hope in those accusations--just condemnation. Those words condemn me because of my poor performance and give birth to guilt, depression, disappointment, hopelessness, and a lot of other destructive thoughts.

The Holy Spirit isolates--brings to mind--the sinful act. Satan, however, makes broad, all-inclusive accusations against my person/character/integrity. God will never condemn me. Why? Because He knows me--my new heart, my desire to please Him, my love for Him--and He doesn't expect me to perform perfectly. That's His program--conforming me to the image of His Son. "Conforming" means there's work to be done--changing my performance, the things I do--not my identity. There is, therefore, NOW no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

1 comment:

Covnitkepr1 said...

Amen and amen...very good post.
I write and maintain a blog which I have entitled “Accordingtothebook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.. I’m your newest follower.


Welcome to PT's Espresso cafe